Thursday 3 September 2009

My Previous Commission Work

I've never really worked on any other commission before asides this one. Except a year ago, me and a class mate were sourced out via a mutual acquaintance who needed a film made for an education board. His name was Craig Morrison, an English/media teacher at my secondary school (Parkside Community College). He was hired by a group called Future's Vision and they were touring around the UK to see how well schools with low funding have done since the government set out to make them far better - many of them had been given fantastic media resources and it was great to document them.

Here is a pic from our award ceremony for the film me and Sam created - (Sam is on the left in jeans, I'm holding the award, Craig is on the far right:


The Process in which me and Sam were selected for this commission was pretty much exactly how I described an orthodox way of doing it below. This time however, it was initially me who had to do the work - I thought this would be tricky so I invited Sam to come along and do it with me - he proved a great help, especially with sound equipment.

We had to travel around around the UK from south to north, visiting many schools along the way, picking up interviews and documentary footage. We were supplied with lunches and dinners along the journey (which was nice) as well as accommodation in some very nice hotels.

We'd have to give a little speech now and then to explain what we were doing for the Future's Vision Tour, just to enlighten the visitors as to what we were doing there with cameras, it went down well and we got some brilliant information from people coming forward wanting to talk to us about their roles and intel.

When it came to the edit, our deadline was extremely tight - at one point I had to stay in Parkside to edit until 10:00pm - unfortunately, the project's trailer was made, and one episode too, but the final two episodes were never completed as the schedule was far too demanding - it was as if they wanted a team to create it but in reality it was just me doing it. The lack of time was to blame partly on their lack of organisation, only realising the video needed to be completed at the last moment. Knowing this really jaded my optimism for the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment