Tuesday 1 September 2009

What Does a Commissioner do?

A commissioner, in the oxford dictionary, is a person appointed by a commission to perform a specific task e.g. being a director approached by a record label or company to produce a promo, advert or music video for them by a brief that they set. 

Being commissioners is the task we've been set to in this project, acting as the directing film-makers, seeking out labels who are up for promotion. 



http://www.computerarts.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/648078/cap88_tut_video.pdf

Music promos are designed to grab your attention, capture the imagination and keep you entertained with each and every frame. Sequence Post-Production shows you how to create a dramatic and energetic piece of video work…

I shall be producing the promo side with a physical digi-pack featuring a CD and poster, and the music video side with a by producing both a film. It'll be an a campaign all of it's own.

I've been researching into artists that I like and trying to find email addresses for the managers on forums, blogs and official record label pages.

These are the ones I've come across:


Mad Decent - Major Lazer, Diplo, L-vis 1990Domino Records - Sinden, Tricky, Bonde de RoleTurbo Recordings - Tiga, Proxy, D.I.MEd Banger Records - Uffie, DJ Mehdi, Busy P
Institubes - Surkin, Bobmo, Das GlowDim Mak - Bloody Beetroots, Steve Aoki, Armand van HalenKitsune - Digitalism, Fischerspooner, A-TrackBNR Records - Boys Noize, Shadow Dancer, DjejotronicNew Judas - Mixhell, Houratron, Downtown
Cocomachete - Fukkk Offf, Azzido da Bass, Disco Doom


This is the email I sent to them all (note the universal format - all i need to do is change names and minute details):

"Hi, my name is Hayden Martin, I'm currently taking a new film-making course at Long Road Sixth Form College in Cambridge. Recently we've been assigned the task of each individually creating a music promo for an artist/label of our choice.

I'm sure you'll be glad to know that you (and a few others) came to my mind first, being a huge fan of the current electronic music scene and knowing how successful you've been!

I'm personally very developed in cinematography and editing with digital cameras and would love to apply these skills to produce a promo for any act you may have who are up for a music video.
I currently haven't got a fully completed and up-to-date show-reel but here is an example on Youtube (you'll have to excuse the picture, effects and cutting quality as it was early on in learning to use the software and there were many time constraints):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09QWsJ3FJZY

This project was my first experiment with SFX and shows quite a few shortfalls. Now though, I have far more experience, often experimenting and further advancing.

Examples of my music cutting skills can be found at Vimeo, which I'll constantly update:
http://www.vimeo.com/6484142
http://www.vimeo.com/6484091
http://www.vimeo.com/6484000

Ideally I'd love to make a music video for any on of your lesser known bands to popularize them - funding wouldn't be necessary, only a brief or a source of inspiration from the band.
If anybody you know is interested do please get back to me or send contact details as I need to have this video completed in November.


Thanks very much and hope to speak soon


Add me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/hayden.martin1?ref=profile

Call me:
M. 07817281488
H. 07974901263"


No comments:

Post a Comment